Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Susquehana-Roseland Project Summary

If you were living anywhere in the US in August of 2003, you would have heard about the (now infamous) Northeast Power Outage. With the rising requirements for energy, PPL would have you believe this type of occurence is right around the corner without the Susquehana-Roseland Project, which brings power from a station in Berwick, PA into New Jersey.

This scenario is entirely possible, I won't lie to you. While that particular power outage was caused by a unique scenario involving multiple power plants outages and failover line capacity, Americans are obviously hungry for more energy (in about 10 minutes, I myself will be playing XBox). The question is - where is the best route to bring this energy to the masses (or at least New Jersey).

Options A and B seem to make the most sense if for no other reason then they seem to follow the use of existing infrastructure - however the lay of the land through the northern part of the Lehigh Valley (Option C) could prove to be an easy build for PPL.

PPL is asking for the public's input and I strongly encourage Lehigh Valley residents to attend the meetings and voice their concerns. I will be updating this blog with information and assessments on how I see things. I'm no doctor, I'm not an EMF expert, I'm not even an environmental wingnut - I'm just one concerned citizen who does not want to
- sell his home (I love my house)
- risk his family's health
- see rural townships lose tax dollars from low property values
- see his neighbors risk their health

I hope I can persuade you that Option C is not the right way to go!

No comments: